ELECTRONIC DEVICES INC.
established in 1951
EDI was established in 1951 in Brooklyn, New York as a manufacturer of low voltage selenium rectifiers for the home entertainment market. The company moved in 1960 from Brooklyn to New Rochelle, NY and in 1963 moved to its preset location in Yonkers, NY.
During the period of the 1960’s and 1970’s, EDI was a force in the television industry, supplying diodes for television multipliers to such U.S. television builders as RCA and Zenith as well as Philips and ITT in Europe. As the far Eastern price competition became more pronounced, EDI began to move away from the commodity-type rectifier business and more towards its current position as a supplier of high performance products.
Electronic Devices Inc. now offers an extensive selection of bridges, low and high voltage rectifiers, high voltage fast recovery diodes, and high voltage assemblies that are available in a wide range of voltage and current ratings, recovery times, case configurations, and terminations. Each is designed with special characteristics to match specific applications.
Our rectifier engineering and manufacturing experience has enabled us to create many new and patented designs. They feature advantages such as high thermal efficiency packaging, more efficient junction avalanche characteristics, 200°C operation capability, and more. For high voltage rectifiers, EDI developed and uses ultrasonically cut round chips that reduce corona leakage, thereby increasing reliability.
The manufacturing facilities of Electronic Devices Inc., in the United States and Asia are specifically designed for the efficient manufacture of rectifier products. EDI is staffed by engineers and technicians who specialize in the design and production of high performance and high quality rectifiers. All manufacturing is totally integrated to assure total production and quality control. Every step from silicon diffusion to testing is done in EDI facilities.
Production is supported by a sophisticated computerized system that provides the ability to satisfy unusual customer requirements by scheduling raw materials, controlling production and speeding deliveries while keeping costs low and maintaining the highest levels of service and quality.
EDI products are subjected to an extensive program of electrical, mechanical, life, and environmental tests before, during, and after production. This ensures the highest reliability and quality available. Underwriter Laboratories Recognized. ISO 9001 certified.
EDI’s product line consists of a range of highly specialized silicon rectifiers, standard and special high voltage assemblies, rectifier bridges, surface mount devices and diode arrays. EDI manufactures approximately 95% of its product complete; the balance is purchased with the EDI brand and sold as is or assembled in to special packages.
Product Lines and Sales Mix
- Bridge rectifiers: 1 ampere through 120 amperes, 50 volts through 1200 volts, single-phase and three-phase configurations.
- Axial lead rectifiers: 5 milliamperes through 6 amperes, 50 volts through 30,000 volts, in standard, fast recovery and ultra-fast recovery.
- Night vision diodes and arrays: Ultra-low leakage, sub-miniature high voltage diodes and diode arrays.
- Assemblies: Catalog and custom designed rectifier assemblies covering a broad spectrum of voltages (up to 250,000 volts), currents (up to 25 amperes), and package styles.
- Surface mount devices: Rectifiers, bridge rectifiers, UHF diodes, Zener diodes, Schottky diodes, switching diodes, transistors and junctions fets.
EDI’s outside sales force consists of North American sales representative organizations, North American distributors, and a network of foreign rep / distributor organizations (agents) worldwide.
EDI has frequently introduced innovative designs:
- In the 60’s with the patented MINISEL high voltage focus rectifiers used in TV’s.
- In the 70’s with high voltage multipliers in TV’s and microwave ovens.
- In the 80’s with nigh vision diodes used in military night vision rifle sights and aviator goggles.
- In the 90’s with the introduction of the ultra-fast recovery bridges and surface mount devices
EDI currently operates in three locations:
Yonkers, New York
Yonkers is corporate headquarters and all administration, engineering, marketing and finance is controlled through this location. Manufacturing in Yonkers comprises silicon processing, acid operations, quality, engineering and some relatively minor packaging and shipping
EDI Fujian established in 1994 is strictly a manufacturing facility to perform processes such as lead attachment, testing, encapsulation (molding and potting), marking and packaging and shipping
Open since 1977, EDI Halbleiter is a sales subsidiary handling all business in Germany.